Tuesday, February 17, 2015

How I Met My Mate!

Today I found another cute blog idea from momfessionals.com – it’s called Show and Tell Tuesday, and this week’s theme is “How you met your significant other!” How fun is that!

Many of you know our story, but for those that don’t….

It all began on April 9, 1998. I was a senior in high school, and it was Easter weekend. After having a rough senior year (we moved in October, a bad breakup in November, etc..) my parents decided to let me fly to Lubbock to spend the weekend with my best friend Whitney. I remember drinking coke and eating peanuts on the plane and feeling grown-up. I also remember wearing windpants, a t-shirt, and a ponytail at my father’s insistence so as not to draw attention to myself. 

Whitney and her mom picked me up at the airport, and Whitney told me that her boyfriend, Cloud, was in a school play that night and we were going to go watch it. I remember thinking “Whatever…” and didn’t change out of my windpants.

The play was called The Diviners, and it was VERY good! I was shocked at how good it was. Cloud was amazing, but his little brother, Blu, stole the show.  When he came onto the stage, Whitney leaned over and said, “That’s Cloud’s younger brother.” My eyes widened and I whispered back, “He’s CUTE…” “Shh!!” Whitney said.

After the play, Blu was standing off by himself, and our eyes met. (Seriously!!) I smiled, he smiled, and I turned away. I went to the Dixie Diner with Whitney and Cloud that night and asked casually where Blu was. Cloud picked up on my hinting, and he arranged a double date for 2 nights later (after teasing me mercilessly that Blu doesn’t like blondes..)

So on April 11th, 1998, we went on our first date to the Lamesa drive-in. We saw Grease. I remember being surprised at Blu’s confidence, his West Texas accent, and his very rough “farmhands.” The next night, Cloud & Blu came to church with us, and I told him goodbye, hopping back on the airplane for a 45 minute ride back to Central Texas.

The movie stub from the drive-in

After the movie, back at Whitney's house. Blu said Cloud made him wear that shirt and made him put on cologne ;)

The three years that followed were a blur of hellos, goodbyes, and LOTS of phone calls and internet chatting. Our relationship was tough – living 6 hours apart – but the distance helped us learn each other’s hearts as we talked and talked for hours. (We both hate talking on the phone to this day…!)

At first, we saw each other every 2-3 months, with me driving to Brownwood to spend weekends with his family. In the summer, we both worked at a church camp so we could be together every day. By the end of our dating, we were meeting at least 1-2 times a month, often driving to Abilene on Saturdays to see each other. We did family vacations together, holidays together, and were both living for the day when Blu would finish high school so he could move to A&M we could be closer (I know, so dramatic! But it was at the time!)

This was the first time I met Blu's parents - Thanksgiving 1998

Working at Plains Baptist Assembly Camp in Floydada

Lots of hugs goodbye..

Yes, we did have matching sweatshirts. And we wore them.

Blu would work at Denny's from 4am to 10am and then drive to Temple to see me every weekend! He was VERY tired that semester!

Blu started college in August, and he proposed to me in October. By January, we were married. 19 didn’t seem young at the time…ask me in a few years when Caedmon is 19 what I think about that!

October 5, 2000...he popped the question at midnight on this rock overlooking Lake Brownwood!

Our engagement pic

We honeymooned in Cripple Creek, Colorado…we couldn’t fly anywhere because we were both too young to rent a car, so we had to find somewhere driving distance!

The honeymoon needs a whole separate blog post...wanted criminals on the loose...etc..

Our first 2 years of marriage were spent in College Station with me teaching school and Blu finishing up at A&M. When we think about this time, we both think about riding The Hawk (Blu’s little Honda motorcycle) around town, spending evenings playing racquetball at the Rec Center, and growing closer to Jesus as a couple. We also discovered our love for travel during this time, taking vacations to Seattle and a road trip to Grand Canyon/Vegas/Oregon. Two years later, we moved to Zambia.

The Hawk - I miss this motorcycle!

Our first home - we bought it for $10,000, fixed it up, and sold it for $18,000 a year later!!

The Redwoods in Northern California

That is how it all began! Anyone who knows us knows that I am one blessed woman to call this man mine. I am so grateful for God’s plan and that He created us for each other!

2002 - our first "family portrait"


No comments: