Tuesday, January 20, 2015

1966

Because sometimes you just need a good story to start your day.....

Hello Cambree,

Your momma told me you needed a story from me for an assignment that is due on Friday. I want to tell you about how I became a Christian! I did not grow up in a family that attended church or believed in God. But, my parents did not mind my walking to a church a little ways from my house when I was 10 years old. When I attended this church called Elmwood Baptist Church, I met a friend named Debbie King. Debbie came to church with her parents and they were very nice to me. After Sunday School Debbie and her parents asked me to sit with them in church. I was so excited to be able to sit with her and her family because I really didn’t know anyone else and felt a little nervous. I sat with them every Sunday that I came to church and sometimes, if the weather was really bad they would drive me back home so I didn’t have to walk. Debbie and I had so much fun sitting together in church! Sometimes we even got in trouble because we were talking too much or too loudly. I remember we played lots of Tic-Tac-Toe and Dot-to-Dot! I soon became very comfortable in Sunday School and church and could sing the songs and listened to the preacher. Every single Sunday the preacher, Rev. Morgan Thompson, closed his message with Revelation 3:20, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come to him and eat with him, and he with me” and then we would sing Just As I Am, every Sunday. One Sunday during this song, and suddenly understanding that Jesus was knocking on my heart’s door, I stepped out of the pew and into the aisle and walked up to the preacher and told him I wanted to open my door and let Jesus in! I had not planned to do it, but knew that Jesus was speaking to me right then and I had to let Jesus in!!!! I was very emotional and overwhelmed by how I felt as that 10 year old girl, but I knew from that moment on that Jesus was in my heart and my Savior. Everyone in the church came up to me and hugged me and told me how special my decision was. I thank GOD for calling me to be his child as a 10 year girl and I thank GOD that my parents allowed me to go to church even though they did not. I thank GOD for Debbie King and her parents. And I thank GOD that both of my daughters and most of my grandchildren have opened their hearts to Jesus, too! I love GOD and I love you, Cambree, I am so thankful you have Jesus in your heart!

Love you,

Mama Dee

No comments: