Saturday, March 29, 2008

Only one?!

When we moved to the bush, people began flooding our house immediately asking for work. Most of them assumed that the white woman would want a house worker to wash dishes and clothes for her and to clean the house. Ok, we lived in a small hut. I was quite capable of taking care of things myself! Every now and then, I would hire someone to handwash Blu's jeans, because those were hard, but the rest I did myself. And people were SHOCKED to see me working.




One day, in town, a man approached Blu and explained that he was punishing me by making me work so hard. The fair thing to do would be to take a second wife so that I would have someone to help me. He was completely serious! He even told Blu, "I will even pay the bridal price, if you will pick out a second wife to help yours!" Blu laughed and said, "If I did that, Darbi would kill me!" (figure of speech...)
The man just sighed and said, "oh yes, those white women, they are like that...." :)

6 comments:

Brandi said...

we LOVED this story! We were both cracking up!

I can't WAIT for more stories like this. . your blog is going to ROCK once you're really there again!

Bran

Sherry said...

ROFL!! That is so funny!

Anonymous said...

I will pay the bride price if Joe will get another one just for the cleaning:) Hee Hee. As for touching my man....I don't think so:) LOVE your stories!

Becky said...

;o) Too funny!!!
You go white girl, hand washing by yourself!!!!

Michele said...

That is hilarious! I had a marriage proposal when I was in Zambia last summer...it was the hardes I'd laughed in a long time!

Tama said...

I loved how Blu blamed it on you that he couldn't have another! Too funny!
Just finished reading your NY entries and I'm tired thinking about it not to mention I lived it through you and now can say I've been there, no need to go! :o)