Saturday, March 8, 2008

Journaling from a Women's Retreat

So this weekend I went to a women's retreat with my mom at her church. I kinda went just for her. It was a big deal--this lady I'd never heard of but who is pretty famous I guess named Barbara O'Chester came to her church with their team. But you know how it goes--you go in with hesitations and not completely enthused, and God pretty much knocks you over with what He teaches you. I wanted to share some of my journal entries from today here. Not sure why--just felt I needed to before I go to bed...

You can read your Bible every day, talk to God every day, and still have a cold heart toward Him. It's called "Treadmill Christianity." You walk a lot, but you don't get anywhere.

Every crisis/tough thing that happens in my life is for one of 2 reasons - to make me trust Him more, or to conform me to His image.

Being filled with the Spirit isn't like having a half full glass of water (representing the Spirit), and you pray that God will fill you more. When you get saved, you have all the Spirit you're gonna get. The question is, how much of ME does the Spirit have?

Do I TRULY hate the sin in my life?

Christianity is not a self-guided tour.

People tend to feel guilty (I know I do!) if I read the Bible but then don't remember what I read a couple of days later. It's like lunch 3 days ago, though. You may not remember exactly what you ate, but you were nourished!

You may not want to wake up early to do a quiet time because you will start your day sleep-deprived. Would you rather be sleep-deprived or God-deprived?

(I'll skip my entries on the session titled "The Act of Marriage") :)

Submission simply means choosing to live my life in a way that will make other people successful.

Godly children don't just "happen." I have to LIVE and TEACH holy to my children.

Don't teach your kids that God is an activity. Don't teach them checklist Christianity.

Being a mom is not a job, it is a ministry.

Marinate in the Word of God. When a piece of meat is marinated for 24 hours, there is a chemical change that takes place. You can't go back later and decide that you want to "un-marinate" it...it is changed. Marinate in the Word of God.

Aside from sitting next to my mom during the sex session of the conference, it was an amazing and refreshing time.

Don't forget to set your clocks forward!! Night! :)

4 comments:

S and K said...

Incredible thoughts... thank you for sharing... such and encouragement!

Love ya,
Katy

Sherry said...

It sounds like you had a great weekend full of learning more about yourself and the Lord! What a wonderful thing. Thank you for sharing. :)

Brandi said...

Great stuff. . I love the marinating thing. . .oooh. . .and the nourishment! And, the comment about sitting next to your mom during a sex talk! haha!

Love ya,
Bran

missy said...

Being a mom is not a job, it's a ministry. Simply profound. I love it.