Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 Book of the Year

Well, it's the time you've all been waiting for...my annual book of the year recommendations! :) I read 39 books this year (I am finishing one up right now, so it'll be 40 before the year is through!) This was a unique year as far as book-reading goes, because I read many more autobiographies/non-fiction books than I am used to! So here goes......(drum roll please)......

FICTION BOOK OF THE YEAR:

This was a no-brainer for me. The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins was absolutely amazing. The characters were beautiful and intriguing and I couldn't put them down. There was no language, although the books are quite violent so I definitely wouldn't recommend them for young kids. Absolutely a brilliant plot - I can't sing their praises enough! Team Peeta! :)

NON FICTION BOOK OF THE YEAR:

I read some good non-fiction this year. I REALLY enjoyed Laura Bush's autobiography. But I think my favorite non-fiction book is "Left to Tell" by Immaculee Ilibagiza. It tells her true story of survival during the Rwandan holocaust. It opened my eyes to what we as humans are capable of in a given second, and how God can intervene in any circumstance, no matter how hopeless it seems.

I have a unique plan for my 2012 reading...classics only! We'll see how it goes! :)

1 comment:

Kidz 40/40 said...

Wow, Darbi, I hope you have a Kindle! You read so many books this past year! I am so excited that I have read your favorite book too-The Hunger Games. I think it was my favorite book too. I haven't started the second one though. I got a kindle fire for Christmas and I have been setting it up but haven't actually read anything yet on it, perhaps today!