Saturday, May 29, 2010

Building Update

Ok, ok...while most of you (with the exception of 4 grandparents) will agree that my kids are terribly cute, you'd rather see pictures of what we're doing out at the land :) Here are some updates for you.
Caedmon enjoyed being the center of attention with the kids! (relax..the building pictures are coming!)

Playing chase

Watching the guys work on electrical poles

Cute random boys in the bush

I try...but I cannot keep my kids clean out there. Mapanza is known for its red dirt, and it just gets all over everything!

Cambree's dirt face

Baby Cason's dirt plus some chocolate face

The front of our house--up to the ring beam! (yeah...impressive that I know what a ring beam is, huh?!)

The crew working on the kids' rooms

Milton comes down from the pole while Masckel watches. This impresses me. These "bush guys" spent 5 weeks with Blu's dad and are now climbing poles and tying in conductor. Wow.

These are Blu's "Bamacembele Bangu." (literally translates "my old women.") They come every day looking for work, and Blu can't tell them no. Whether he needs something or not, he finds something for them to do :)

A view of our room and the kids' rooms with door frames in

They started plastering the workers' house today, so that when our next team comes the women can paint the inside!

Random girl in the bush fascinated with the camera

This is Blu's idea for a storage building. Maize sacks filled with dirt are the walls. This is a picture of the Zambian guys telling Blu this will never work and Blu explaining that it will. Personally, I'm gonna go with the Zambians on this one, but time (and pictures) will tell.. ;)


It was a rough trip to the bush for me, and it was for only about 24 hours!! It was dirty...so dirty...I got there and it's like I was covered with dirt!! Man I have really realized that I am way more girly than I thought. I was feeling rebellious too. After a psycho rooster woke me up at 5am, and the women showed up to get water at 6am, I decided to rebel and wear shorts all day! That's right--I wore basketball shorts down to my knees! AND...I didn't brush my teeth. Ha. I showed them. ;)

2 comments:

LyndseyLoo said...

Are shorts and showing your legs a no-no?

Brian and Kelly Jo Kallevig said...

are you guys using an mortar between those bricks or will it all just be held up with the plaster?