Thursday, March 11, 2010

I love Thursdays!!

I love the Thursday Bible studies with the women at Choma Baptist!! Today I took a risk and didn't show up until 2:15 and I was the fourth one there! It was a REALLY hot day, and when I showed up the three women that were there were sprawled on the ground, laying on their chitengis. (A chitengi, pronounced chee-tang-gi, is what every woman wears around her waist and is used to carry a baby on your back, put on the floor to sit down on, or in this case, take a nap on at church). One woman was wearing only her bra and her skirt. They were all fanning themselves and moaning about the heat. What other choice did I have?? I joined them! I threw my chitengi on the ground and sprawled out with them. (I chose to keep my shirt on).

Anyway, we had a great Bible study over the call of Jeremiah from Chapter 1, verses 4-10. They asked me if I would like an official Baptist woman uniform. Sure, I said! They quickly handed me a book - the Baptist Women's Guidebook of Zambia - which told me everything I must to do be able to wear a uniform:
Attend Bible studies
Don't drink beer or wine
Don't smoke
Memorize what the colors represent
Memorize the Romans Road for salvation
Memorize the theme verse - 1 Corinthians 3:9
Memorize a 5 stanza hymn called "Come All Ye Women"

I noticed that only 2 of them had on uniforms, so I asked why the others didn't. They said it was too hard to learn the Scriptures, so I told them when they learned them and earned a uniform then I would earn mine too. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What do the colors represent? And what does the uniform look like?