Sunday, April 5, 2009

Zambia, Day Four

Wow--just got finished watching Slumdog Millionaire..awesome movie!

Day Four in Zambia concluded our time out in the bush. I remember thinking that we, as Americans, are so comfortable. When in Zambia, especially out in the bush, you aren't comfortable. I had forgotten how it feels to feel dirty and sweaty all the time, with flies swarming you, power outages, no water, etc. I thought about the fact that when in America, I know nothing of discomfort. If I am hot, I turn the a/c down. If I'm cold, I turn it up. If I want water, I turn the faucet and it will be there. If there is one fly in my house, I search for a fly-swatter and kill it immediately.

We spent day four driving about 4 or 5 hours back into the capitol city of Lusaka. Laurie and I enjoyed reading Trivial Pursuit questions (girls versus guys) and creaming the guys with our vast knowledge! We had planned to stop in Mazabuka for lunch, and it was about 11:45 when we stopped. We went to one fast food place, but the "food was not ready yet--check back in one hour." I had forgotten about things like that! Luckily, we were able to find lunch meat at a grocery store so we made our own sandwiches.

Our first stop in Lusaka was at the bus station so that we could buy tickets for our bus trip the next day to go see my sister (more to come on that in tomorrow's blog!) When we got there, Blu got out of the vehicle and was swarmed with guys who wanted to help him get a ticket. This one grabbed Blu's hand (a sign of friendship in Zambia) and helped him out. Blu had no idea we were taking these pictures. :) When he saw them, he was grateful that at least I didn't get a picture of them when their fingers were interlocked!

When we got to Lusaka, we had one more visit to make with my close friend, Abigail. She has had a different life compared with most Zambians. Her father is the President of the Baptist Theological Seminary in Lusaka, so she was raised in a Christian home. Abigail is 31 now and is eagerly awaiting a husband! She likes to remind me that because she is so "pure" her future husband will have to pay her father a large sum of money for her bridal price!

We spent our last evening with Wes and Laurie playing cards after eating at our favorite restaurant in Lusaka - the Chinese restaurant!

Ok I have a story here...Laurie is going to kill me.. As we left the restaurant, a Zambian stopped her and asked her if she was Joyce Meier!!!! That was funny in itself, but then Laurie confessed that this wasn't the first time that someone had asked her that!!!! :) We teased her mercilessly after that!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

You spelled Joyce "Meyer" wrong....just thought I'd point it out! lol You're slipping in your old age...JK!!! ;) Actually I didn't know who that was, so I googled it and that's the only way I knew! Love ya!