Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Cason's Birth Story


Much thanks to my sweet husband for posting on my blog in my absence…  Though there were a couple of typos that I had fun pointing out to him, he did well, don’t ya think?!

I wanted to share Cason’s “birth story” with you. Though I am a very detailed person, I will attempt to not be graphic!

We went in at 6am to be induced and I was actually hooked up to pitocin and going by 6:30am! We did quickly discover the movies on demand (it was called Fool’s Gold, Blu…) and for about 3 hours I had contractions every 4 minutes apart or so, but with not much pain. I was dilated to a 5 so we were just hanging out waiting for things to happen! They asked if I wanted an epidural, but I wasn’t in a lot of pain so I said no. They told me that they had c-sections lined up all day so they didn’t want me to miss getting an epidural but I assured them I’d be fine…

Then the doctor came in around 9:30 and I was still a 5, so she said they could break my water and things would probably go a little faster. She asked, “Do you want the epidural before we break your water?” “Nah…I’m good for a little while longer…” I mean, Cool Runnings was on now! This was the life!! I kid you not, about 2 minutes after they broke my water I wanted the epidural! Contractions were coming 2-3 minutes apart and were SO intense. I made it 30 minutes and finally told Blu to go tell the nurse I need an epidural NOW! He came back with the news that it would be 30-40 minutes before they could do it. I quickly calculated that that would be about 15 more contractions, so me, Blu, and the Jamaican bobsled team made it through them together! I then told Blu “It has to have been 30 minutes…I have to have something for the pain…” He comes back with a sad look on his face to inform me that the nurse said it will still be another 30 minutes. I inform him that I am NOT going to make it another 30 minutes…the baby will be here by then.

So then the doctor comes back and I was only dilated to a 7 but they said it was going very fast and they ran to get the anaesthesiologist. He told me it was too late for an epidural but that I could get a spinal block and have immediate relief in 3 minutes. He proceeds to tell me that I could die or be paralyzed from it, and I quickly tell him “great, just do it fast.” So I get the spinal block and they tell me that it should be 3 minutes until I feel pain relief. But all I feel is pain in my back and my lower stomach…I thought I was dying!! My doctor rushes in and starts putting on scrubs and I tell her how bad my stomach hurts. It turns out that I was a 10, and it was time to push—I got the spinal block about 10 minutes before I delivered Cason Mark!!

Blu gave you all the stats—born at 11:18am, 7lbs 10 oz, 20 inches. He looks just like Caedmon did as a baby! It took 11 hours for me to get feeling back in my legs/lower back…I could finally get up at 10pm that night so that was crazy!! Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts on Monday! Though the labor was intense, it really went well and we are thankful for another beautiful, healthy, baby boy! Happy Thanksgiving!

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Congrats! He looks awesome! Childbirth is definitely not for the faint of heart huh?!

MMC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MMC said...

He is so cute, just as your other two! I know your pain, I labored way too long at home and missed my epi with Miss Kenah! Congrats and enjoy!!

Anonymous said...

The first OUCH and I yell for an epideral...girl...NEVER say no to drugs:) Hee Hee. I am a big weiner so that is my own personal philosophy. Love the name! I would love to talk to you one day when we actually have a free moment or kid free moment. In that case, call me in 10 years and I KNOW I can talk. Love to u!CeCe

S and K said...

Congratulations!

He is so sweet!

KTandEMYsmom said...

I'm so happy for the entire Tidwell Clan! Happy belated birthday Cason! (Darbi, I would have chosen Matthew McConaughey too! I know that made the pain much easier to tolerate!)
Melody

Suzie Rodgers said...

Congratulations Blu and Darbi! He is a cutie!
love,
Suzie and family