Monday, August 18, 2008

Moosehead Lake

We have had a great time in Maine! We are now back at our hotel watching the Olympics before we head back to DFW early tomorrow morning! I'll start by telling about our time at Tomhegan Resort on Moosehead Lake.

Let me start with our overall impressions of Maine! It is a gorgeous state--tall pine trees, lakes and rivers everywhere, and mountains all around. However, we were shocked at how rural it seems to be! As we drove up to the Moosehead Lake region, we saw that the roads are mainly 45-50mph roads, and I would describe the towns as villages rather than towns! We didn't see many children, or many schools for that matter! People had to drive very far just for groceries! Of course, this was in a rural part of the state, so I'm sure it is different in the big cities. The temperature wasn't near as cool as we were expecting...it is pretty humid so that makes it seem hotter.

Anyway, we headed up to spend 4 days at the Tomhegan Resort! Let's just say it was not the "resort" we were expecting!! Our room makes me laugh to even think about it. The floor was completely uneven...I mean so uneven that we would wake up in the middle of the night and pull ourselves further up on the bed because we were sloping down! It was hilarious! We were certain we were going to fall through the floor! Also, for some reason, there was no hot water! But, hey, we're African, so we can handle that! We just heated some water on the stove and poured it in the tub! But seriously, we had a great time. We canoed, we fished, we watched movies, we hiked, we played games, we built a fire by the lake, and it was all VERY relaxing! I'll show some pictures here, and then I'll blog tomorrow about our day in Canada!

This is the fire we built on the lake as we watched the moon rise over the mountains and shine down onto the lake!


Blu's vacation goal was to skip a rock 14 times...he didn't quite make it :)


We spent one day out on the canoe. The water was SO cold!


We attended the Rockwood Community Church on Sunday morning! It was different from what we're used to, but we really enjoyed it!


Yes, we did actually see some moose!! And I will blog about "moose o'clock" tomorrow!


Ok, so I was a LITTLE excited about the first fish I caught. What?? You don't see it?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds a lot better than the African babymoon! The first picture on this blog makes me want to pack my bags and head north.
: )