Tuesday, March 7, 2017

New Year's Resolutions

Though never being one to keep (or make) New Year's Resolutions in the past, in December of 2015, I felt convicted to do something in 2016. Actually, I felt convicted earlier than that, but I didn't say anything for awhile, because I knew Blu would go along with it, and I didn't know if I could really do it! But, we did, and we survived the "No Asking Year of 2016!"

In 2016, we hosted 135 volunteers at New Day. Each volunteer or group always brings things for the orphanage or for the missionaries living here. We noticed back in 2015 that we were just inundated with "stuff" - a lot of which we didn't really need. But it was the day that a team arrived and our kids asked, "What did they bring us??" that I realized we were teaching our children greed. Thus, in 2016, we had a "No Asking" year. And trust me, it was TOUGH! Teams came, and before coming they always asked if we needed anything. I always said no and instead ordered things we needed or wanted from Amazon and had it shipped to their house. (Amazon and I became best friends last year!) I only explained this to one volunteer (Uncle Randy!) who was desperate to bring our kids treats! He understood though, and instead brought things just to bless them/us. It turned into a neat year! When my friend Allison sent a box full of goodies, it was way more exciting than it had been the year before! And when a team arrived with random goodies, we enjoyed it so much more than just collecting from our wishlist! It all culminated in December when my friend Amy brought me a Bath and Body Works candle and some body wash/lotion, and my friend Cindy left me tons of Advocare products. I was ecstatic, and it had been a long time since I'd felt that grateful and blessed! So, we survived the 2016 year of No Asking! (2017 is NOT the year of No Asking, as we are out of pretty much everything American in our house!! ;)

And on to 2017. We are working on 2 other New Year's Resolutions. One is spiritual, the other is about our marriage, and both are pretty private. But we are definitely growing closer to God and to each other on Day 67 of this year!

Blu mentioned something last weekend that he is thinking for 2018, and it's going to take a LOT of prayer/willpower/etc. I will share later this year because I will need some serious prayer to do this, but it means going without something that he thinks might be an addiction for both of us. Yikes.

My point in sharing all of this is to encourage you - you don't have to call it a "New Year's Resolution," but think about this: Are you better this year than you were last? Are you closer to God? Are you actively doing things to be a better follower of Jesus, a better mom, a better wife? Just something to think about that's been on my heart! Happy Women's Day!

No comments: