Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Joy of Being Fat

Many of you who have been to Africa know that to Africans, Americans are very fat people. And that's ok! They view being "fat" as being healthy--you obviously have plenty to eat and are well taken care of! I met so many thin girls with sculpted muscles who wanted so badly to be fat!

One lady in particular, Celia, LOVED to point out to me EACH AND EVERY time she saw me how fat I was getting. It would never fail...I would walk into the village and she would put her hands as far apart as they could go and exclaim "Oh Darbi! You are getting so fat!! Your hips are this big!" She, of course, thought she was giving me the biggest compliment, but I quickly began to dread visiting this church and hearing about how fat I was getting!!

Celia and her husband, Pastor Robinson
Photobucket

Another "fat" story--soon after moving to Zambia, I hired a woman to make me a chitengi dress (fancy African dress for special occasions). They are very form fitting and the women look beautiful in them! When my dress was finished, I was shocked to see a HUGE elastic waistband with a long drawstring. They are meant to be tight and zip up, but mine had weird elastic and was all bunchy around my hips. I must have looked confused, because the seamstress smiled real big and exclaimed "We made it so that you can wear it when you get fat!!" Gee, thanks...

9 comments:

Julie Redman said...

i love reading your stories of africa. just keep telling yourself that it is a compliment. you look very thin on your pics!
julie

Anonymous said...

My friend, who still lives in Africa, used to say the women there would say the SAME thing except they would add "Your man must love you a lot and give you more food than the other wives!"

Brandi said...

Oh my! I think that's why Greg loved Africa!!!

Too funny!
Brandi

The Adoption Of William said...

That was really funny! What a compliment to give!! Hee hee!

Blessings,

William's Mom

Becky said...

Funny that a friend of mine just mentioned this the other day!! Our Bible study group had a visit from a lady who is a missionary in Africa. She told us all about this! She said she was always told how well loved she must be!! :o) Oh, not to worry about losing weight!!

missy said...

you? Fat? You've got to be kidding me. You look itty bitty in all of your pictures. How funny.
Missy

Stefanie said...

That is SO funny. I really enjoy your stories.

Stefanie Solt

S and K said...

Our pediatrician told my boys that it's good to eat a lot but that they need to stop eating until their tummies hurt or they'll get fat. C replied, "I wan to be a fat American, I no wan to be African no more."
HA! He also told Haddie she is so fat and so beautiful!!!

Funny, but no, Darbi, you are not fat!!!

Love,
Katy

Tama said...

I had a seamstress in China who did the same thing. Her mother in law would put her hands out wide and laugh, though I couldn't understand a word of it I knew EXACTLY what she was saying! And at the time I was a size 8! Oh to be that thin again. Now I'm just a very loved American! Ha!