Thursday, January 3, 2008

Final Adoption Update

Following you will find an excerpt from a letter to our adoption agency. Please pray for our family as we prepare to embark on our journey to Zambia.

Our family entered the Acres of Hope Liberia adoption program in July of 2007. During the time since then, we accepted and lost a referral for sweet Samuel, and we are currently awaiting a new referral.
We are very aware of all of the “turmoil” that Acres of Hope has gone through recently. We feel that the staff at Acres is taking the necessary steps to evoke change that will make adoptions even smoother, and we appreciate this.

However, we know that change takes time. We also know that the Minister of Health wishes to slow adoptions in Liberia. If our family were going to remain in the USA for a few more years, we would sit back and eagerly anticipate our new referral from Acres of Hope, though it may be months away.

Our family, however, is in a situation where we do not have the luxury of this time to wait. God has called us and has amazingly provided funding for us to return to the country we love, Zambia, to open an orphanage and school to minister to HIV and AIDS orphans. We plan to move our family to Zambia in the coming year to begin this exiting endeavor.

Things are falling into place; however, after much prayer, we have seen that due to the changes being made at Acres of Hope and the Minister of Health’s new changes as well, God is closing the door on our adoption at this time. Some ask if we are sad, or if we feel that we “heard God wrong” about our adoption. Instead, we just feel that God is taking our dream of helping one African orphan and saying, “I have something bigger for your family.”

12 comments:

Brandi said...

I am so excited to see how God has taken your passion for one little man in Liberia and expanded it to include who knows how many children in Zambia. I can't wait to support you, pray for you and excitedly watch God work through you as He touches His precious children through your arms. You will surely have a "quiver full"!

Love you,
Brandi

Becky Avella said...

Your family will be in my prayers. I will be excited to follow your journey back to Zambia. Will you still blog?

Love,
Becky A.

Anonymous said...

This has been an incredible journey to read about and listen to you go through. I am so amazed at the opportunity God has given you to touch so many lives in a country so far away that you love so much. He is giving you many more children to 'adopt', into your family and more importantly, into His!
Many Blessings!!
Becky D.

missy said...

I'm so excited for your family Darbi. Can't wait to read updates from Zambia.
Love,
Missy

Anonymous said...

Honey, nothing has changed....you are "adopting" just hundreds versus one! You know our family is ON BOARD with your mission and will be aiding you in the future:)

Love U
CeCe

Stefanie said...

What a wonderful and compationate letter. Thank you for sharing. I will be praying for your family and will be checking for updates. What a wonderful opportunity to follow where the Lord is leading you!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! How exciting. I'm sure that this was a hard decision to make, but you are following God's plan for your family!

Amber G. said...

I am so, so excited for you guys!! (And more than a little jealous.) I certainly hope you are up for visitors/volunteers! (There's bound to be SOMETHING from DQ that I can bring you that wouldn't melt along the way!! :)

I'm glad to have met you through Acres... you are leaving the program without a referral... but you gained friends and prayer-warriors! I am so excited to follow along as you embark on this journey. I am sure you will be adopting at some point in the future... but this is definitely a very exciting door that the Lord has opened.

Love,
Amber

Michele said...

A friend forwarded your blog... I took my first trip to Zambia last summer and worked with children there in a day camp setting. I LOVED skimming your blog searching for your Zambia stories and learning a little about your precious family. I'm raising support to take my 12 year old with me this next summer. He loved hearing your stories as well, and asked for more! Without realizing it, you've made an impact on a 12 year old and fueled his desire to travel to Zambia and meet the beautiful people he's heard about. Thanks for sharing! I'll be praying for you guys, for direction, funds, and a way! May the Lord richly bless you as you yield to Him!

In HIS love,
Michele Gilliam

Unknown said...

Darbi, that sounds fabulous. We too are being led to open a baby home in Zambia. I would love to be in email communication with you on the "how's". And never fear - you can adopt from Zambia while living in Zambia. :)

Holly

Jamie said...

Darbi,
I am so, so excited for your new ministry to get started!! I think this is a beautiful turn in your road that God has revealed, and I think you are handling it beautifully, too.
Love you,
Jamie :0)

Anonymous said...

Darbi,
I found your blog tonight after linking from another blog. We learned this week that the little boy we were in process to adopt in Liberia is no longer a possibility. We are grieving his loss. I am so sorry that you experienced the loss of Samuel recently.
We are considering changing agencies (we aren't with AOH) and would love to have feedback- we are also aware of the turmoil but your letter seemed highly balanced.
Would it be possible to contact you via email?
Rebecca
weavingfamilies@gmail.com