Thursday, January 10, 2008

Chicken Killer

Gosh, some of you girls are so needy!! I go out of town for a couple of days and you freak out when there's no blog!! (lol just kidding Bran!)

Anyway, someone asked after my last post if I actually killed a chicken. BUT OF COURSE!! I actually have the whole thing on videotape, but I probably killed and cooked about 3.

WARNING: The following description is not for animal lovers or the weak-stomached!

What you do is first catch the chicken. That's the hardest part. Then you just lay him on the ground and hold his body with a foot and his head with one hand, and then cut his head off with your knife with the other hand! Then you plunge him (or her) into a big pot of boiling water for about 2 minutes. Then you take him out and pluck the feathers. This was my favorite part! When the feathers are gone you can tell a lot more if it's a good, plump chicken! Anyway, then you cut him up (kinda difficult) and we usually boiled/fried him. It took about 4 hours total to cook. When it's almost done, you add tomatoes and onions to the pot and they fry in the bottom too. So yummy! One time I made my own homemade barbecue sauce and that was good too!

My stomach is growling for a good ole' Zambian chicken right now!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have NO problem with killing an animal to eat. I hear turkeys are messier!

CeCE

Amber G. said...

You chicken-murderer!!

Actually, I can give you a hard time because, being the farm-girl that I am, I have helped with the process of butchering (ugh! what a word!) many, many chickens over the years. I even used to do the killing part -- but my stomach has gotten queasier as I've aged and I don't think I could do it now unless I absolutely had to... but at least I know how! :)

Brandi said...

That sounds disgusting! Hey wait, I'm one who wants to move to Africa so I better shut my butt up!

I meant to say, "Sounds great"!
haha!

Love you,
Bran
PS Sorry for being so nagging and caring so much, geesh! he he

Stefanie said...

Ewwww! I have no problem eating a chicken...but I would have to be REALLY hungry to do it myself....I loved the post :)

steffany said...

Sick, but totally cool at the same time!

Julie Redman said...

i want to see the video!
julie

missy said...

Hey, we all do what we have to do. I'm impressed with your chicken butchering skills.