Friday, January 4, 2013

Alvarado Team - Last from New Day!

The team has left New Day and is on their way to Livingstone to experience Victoria Falls and a safari. I stayed behind with the kids, but I was headed to Choma to do my usual orphanage grocery shopping. We got word that the river was flooded, so Blu & I drove to check it out. The bridge was nowhere near passable! It will probably be covered until late tonight or early tomorrow. Blu left with the team to take another route. Though water was covering the long bridge on that route, there wasn't much water so they were able to safely cross. The bus's tires are much higher than my truck tires, so I opted to stay here today. We are officially flooded in! I'm glad the team was able to make it out and I'm praying the river goes down so that I can get groceries tomorrow! On Sunday I will meet back up with the team and go to Lusaka with them (to pick up my parents & Teacher Diana!) Since I'm stuck home today, I have a great opportunity to get my house back in order, do laundry, and post this massive blog for you! :) So here are pictures from the trip...in quite possibly the longest blog post ever...in no particular order.. :) If you've ever been to New Day, you've received a "Welcome" like this! I love this pic because it shows the excitement on ALL of our faces!!
Axer shows off the fish she made in VBS
This looks like the beginning of one of those, "How many Aggies does it take..." jokes :)
Blu shows Tony how to eat nshima at Kids Club
Look at this little one's full tummy after his meal at Kids Club!!
Marshall is enjoying his meal :)
We have a group of older boys who love to come and play soccer!
Our library is looking good! Yes we do have books to fill those shelves - that is next week's project!
Our security guard, Mr. Choma. I love the little bat he made as a weapon! :)
Muchoni & Francis show off their house to the team
Muchoni loved his new watch from Papa Wes & Mama Lala!
This is the mud we have to walk through to get anywhere...
The Nativity play that the kids did was so cute! I know this was the first time for a lot of our village kids to hear the Christmas story, so it was an added blessing for them to get to see it acted out! Cassie & Mrs. Kelly worked SOOO hard with the kids and did a great job!! Angels :)
Shepherds :)
The wisemen
Cason the Cow
Cason the Cow & Kelitah the Sheep
The entire Nativity cast
Elizabeth & Zechariah played by Sisi & Misheck
Muchoni played the Angel Gabriel - I love the wings Laura made!
I'm not biased or anything, but I've got to say that I think King Herod stole the show. He had a perfect "mean" face!
I asked him, "Caedmon, how did you not smile at all those people?!" And he looked at me like I was very dumb and said "Mama, I was King Herod."
Herod is dead!
Mary (Machila) is surprised by Angel Gabriel's news!
Love this picture - Mweene picking his nose :)
Building bookshelves for the library..
Brandi & Cassie enjoying some Zambian wildlife!
Cassie & Kelly at play practice
Christina working on her guitar skills
I thought some of you who have met Margaret may be interested to see her daughter, Chu-Chu, and her granddaughter Christy!
The classrooms are getting ready for school on January 14th!
Pretty Cynthia :)
These pictures show a progression of what we look like from morning to evening. Here is Debbie looking nice at church.
And Debbie that same afternoon...
And Debbie that evening...
Cason gets a lift from Francis
Mr. Jimmy with all the kids
Jimmy & Chu-Chu's son, little Jimmy!
Kailey coming out of the chicken houes - Kailey wins the prize for having the most African experiences as she visited the mortuary with Blu and stayed at the funeral for 5 hours while the rest of us came home after 2 hours!
This is a Zambian dish called kapenta. We call them "minnows" in the USA :)
Almost everyone tried them! Kelly & Ashlee got them down!
Kelly & Axer
Kelly tries to teach the kids how to make her REALLY loud whistle!
Kenny & Blu work on bookshelves together
Sawing..
I'm not sure what's going on, but it looks complicated!
Blu & Ashlee leading a song at Kids Club
Priscilla (6 months pregnant!) and Blu came by to sell some rugs to the team
Can you see the rainbow?! Gorgeous!
A close up pic of our Kids Sponsor Board
The whole team with the New Day kids
Tony got to have a drum session with Kalenga on Wednesday night
He also got to help get the truck out of the mud!
One of my favorite pics - Tyler trying to chase goats out of the church!
I had to post one more a pic of Tyler getting water poured on him!
A fun game of Limbo at VBS!
And then the rain came...
The shelter full of VBS kids after Day One! Love it!
We cannot thank the team from FBC Alvarado enough for giving up your Christmas holiday to come and minister alongside of us in Zambia. Christmas can be a hard time but this year it was fun to look forward to the team coming! You have planted seeds in the lives of children that we will be faithful to water and help grow, trusting that Jesus will produce the fruit in their lives! Thank you to all of the supporters back home (our church family!) who prayed, gave sacrificially, made curtains (which turned into head scarves for our play costumes!!), and sent your children to Zambia. We hope to see you at New Day again!

No comments: