Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Rat Pack



We have a rat in our house. Honestly, rats don’t really bother me. Now, if we had giant tarantulas, I’d be on the next plane to Texas, but rats are fine with me. Rats, however, were NOT ok with our volunteer team! Poor Denise and Beth slept in our room, where our dear rat plays in the closet at night…the first night we heard him in there clawing and I said “Blu you better go check on the ladies…they will be freaking out!” Sure enough, Denise was at the door wielding her superpower flashlight and said “There is a rat in the closet!!!” Blu responded with “Oh I know..he’ll leave eventually. Just make sure your door is open so he can get out! Night!”

The rest of the week most conversations revolved around the rat, where he was, what he was doing, who heard him in the night, etc. On the team’s last night here, it was 3am and Blu and I were asleep on the couch. Blu suddenly FLIES out of bed thrashing and saying that the rat had just landed on his FACE. Apparently, he had jumped from one couch to the next, not knowing the couch was pulled out to make a bed. Blu quickly changed from Mr. Cavalier to Mr. Determined to Kill this Rat!

This morning, John and I (John is staying an extra week after his group left) were talking and he suddenly said “The rat just went under the piano!” Blu got on one side with a broom, I took the front with a trash can, and John took the other corner with a suitcase. He came out the front and I failed miserably, but Blu chased him down and ruthlessly murdered him (after all, if a rat ran over YOUR face in the middle of the night, you’d have a little more adrenaline to kill him right??


So future volunteer teams, rest assured, that Bungee (as we lovingly named him) now rests in peace and our house in Mapanza is rat-free! (unless he has family…)

Beth painted these rocks for my front porch--cool huh! :)

No comments: