Sunday, January 2, 2011

2010 Book of the Year

It's time for my annual Book of the Year Recommendation! I only read 49 books in 2010! I'll try to do better this year ;) Ok, here are my recommendations!!

Non-Fiction:
Banker to the Poor, Muhammad Yunnus - I probably would never have read this book if I wasn't sick in bed for a week back in May! But I really liked it! It tells the true story of a man who changed a whole nation by giving small business loans to the poorest of the poor. This enabled people to start their own businesses, generate a profit, and then pay off their loan. Lives of future generations were changed because of this project. Interesting concept--wonder if it would work in Africa...?


Fiction:
This was a tough one. Francine Rivers' new 2 book saga is AMAZING--you have to read it!! But I'm giving this year's award to "The Face of God" by Bill Myers. I loved this book because it spoke to the issue of people in the ministry growing cold and losing their passion for Christ because they are so busy "ministering," which is something that all of us, but especially those of us in the ministry, have to be careful of. Another reason I loved this book is that I learned so much Old Testament history, specifically about the Urim and Thummim and the priest's breastplates. I also loved that it looked at both a Christian man and a Muslim man who were both searching for the same thing...You'll have to read it to see if they both found what they were looking for :)

Until 2011's end of the year recommendations....this is Darbi the Bookworm..signing off ;)

1 comment:

Texascece said...

I love Safely Home-Randy Alcorn
What are the two books that F. Rivers has?

CeCe