Tuesday, July 31, 2012

"Church"

As I sat in church this past Sunday, I have to admit I was uncomfortable. We meet in a shelter with low walls and the wind was blowing hard. It was COLD. I sat on the edge of the concrete bench, trying to touch as little of it as possible, shivering. I tried to keep my mouth closed because my teeth already felt caked with dirt. I tried to listen to my husband deliver a Sunday School lesson. I was uncomfortable. I started to think about all of the other churches meeting that morning. Some sat in America in plush pews but with broken hearts...others probably gathered under a tree in Uganda, with their bellies empty and no shetler over their head as they sang praises to God. And then there were those who probably didn't carry a Bible to church. Intead, they dress in "normal" clothes and pretend to attend a party at their friends' house. These believers gather and cringe when they hear footsteps outside, wondering if this will be the day their illegal church is discovered. God softly spoke to my heart. Actually, God softfly rebuked my heart! I realized then what a privilege it is to gather together all over the world on Sunday mornings with believers and to be a part of Christ's church. Even with dirty teeth. ;)

3 comments:

Dayla Rowland said...

Amen! I feel like this year I have had such a huge privilege to get to experience "church" in so many settings. Regardless of place or circumstance it is mind blowing to think that we are worshipping the same God...we are the church. I am glad that He can move people out of their plush pews or from their reed mat and cause them to fall to their knees in worship. He is so GOOD!

alicelely@gmail.com said...

Darbi,
I would love to have been there worshiping with you. My heart stayed at New Day when I returned to Amarilo, though I know I am needed here. I miss all of you, and look forward to seeing you again at God's appointment. I will pray warmth around the Shelter this Sunday. Love you, Alice Ely, CRBC Amarillo

alicelely@gmail.com said...

Praying for warmth around the Shelter on Sunday morning. I left my heart at New Day when I returned home, although I know I am needed here. I look forward to my next Divine Appointment with ya'll. I miss everyone at New Day! Love in Christ,
Alice