Tuesday, February 16, 2010

An email home...

Hey everyone!! I wanted to write, even though we have no internet so that you don’t get behind on our lives!! Many of you know that Blu has been sick. On Saturday, he went to a town nearby and it was lunchtime so he picked up a couple of sausage links from a roadside stand. We have eaten there numerous times in the past-even fed our kids from there!! But it turns out something in the food did not sit well with Blu, and he has gastroenteritis. He missed church Sunday, was better Monday, but woke up sick today. He has bad stomach cramps and he said food burns his stomach. Thankfully, we have an amazing medical clinic in town (Dr. Jain and his wife Dr. Jain). They are from India and their two adult children are in the USA (one a doc in San Francisco and one an engineer in Chicago). So anyway, Blu got medicine, oral rehydration solution, and they said they would even put him on an IV if he gets more dehydrated. And all for the low price of $30. They even do surgeries here, so we are glad they are nearby in case of emergency.

So Blu’s camping trip out to the bush got cancelled, which enabled me to go to choir practice. This time, I took notes on the songs of words I didn’t know so that I can learn them better! It was so fun to gather with the women and sing. I have finally learned their names and now I am starting to learn their personalities. There is Anna, who is extremely shy but thinks I am so funny. There is Mrs. Musanje, who is the drama queen of the group---something is always aching on her. There is Sister Sakala, who is the little spitfire that you do not want to mess with! Sister Caterpillar (her last name means caterpillar so they said I could call her that) is the oldest of the group and mothers me and makes sure I understand what is going on. Sister Phiri is a bit rough around the edges but has the biggest smile ever. They are a neat group of women. I am excited to be a part of them, and on Feb 25th I get to attend a baby shower with them!

We have been losing power about 4 hours a day, for anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours at a time. It’s not a big deal, except for the heat with no fans. It has been about 82 in the house each day. The worst part is when the power goes out the internet goes off, and sometimes it takes days to get back on. When power is out at night, the kids go to bed early and Blu and I play poker with peanuts, War, and Uno. Fun times!

Blu is feeling better already and has rescheduled his camping trip for Friday-Saturday. I think I’m going to have our neighbor friends over for a popcorn and movie night with the kids on Friday night. That should be fun!

Funny things my kids have said recently:

Caedmon: Cambree, you are the yogurt girl!
Cambree: No, I am the yogurt LADY.

I cooked t-bone steak instead of chicken one night:
Cambree: Mama, can I have some of that black chicken?

Cambree: Look Mama!! My arms are getting brown like my friends!!!

In other notes, Cambree got a black eye this week from her older brother. He dropped a chain off a tree and hit her under her eye. Cason is walking!!!! He has also moved into a big boy bed and seems to like it. He doesn’t realize that he can get out of it…with the mosquito net down he thinks he is trapped in there!

I guess that’s all for a good update for now!! We miss you all so much!!!

No comments: